Chemistry Rocks! Exploring the Chemistry of Rocks and Minerals
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
6:00 pm: Social hour/ light dinner and tours of Holy Cross labs, 7:00 pm: Live interactive telecast from ACS
Location: The College of the Holy Cross
Expert presenters include:
Brent Constantz, Blue Planet
Young-Shin Jun, Washington University in St.Louis
• How can we use minerals to improve the quality of life?
• What is the structural chemistry of various gemstones?
• What is biomineralization and how can it inspire sustainable and novel building materials?
• How mineralizing carbon dioxide can make an impact on the future of climate change?
• What is the energy-water-food nexus and why do minerals matter?
• What are extremophiles and how does their biochemistry allow them to thrive in extreme environments?
• What are some potential future careers in rock and mineral chemistry?